Saturday, April 18, 2020

Wall

"I'd like to know if you'll make an effort. Will you try to be open, and not change the subject whenever it comes too close to something that hurts or that you're afraid of?"

I felt suspended, above an absolute void. "You want too much. You should have left things alone."

"Believe me, I've thought long and hard about leaving things alone. But then there will always be this wall between us."

"It's all ugly things behind the wall," I said, not looking at him.

"I'm not afraid of what's behind the wall, only the wall itself."

But the wall was my exoskeleton. It was what held me up. Sometimes it was the only thing that held me up.

---------------

"You're not walling yourself off from heartache- there's no possibility of that. You're only walling yourself off from life."

Excerpt from: Sherry Thomas, The One in My Heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...