Sunday, April 26, 2020

Letters to a Young Muslim & The Two Popes

So yesterday I finished reading this book called Letters to a Young Muslim by Omar Saif Ghobash. I borrowed it from my housemate. I was expecting more from that book, so in the end I was kinda left a bit unsatisfied. So please people, don’t put your expectations so high in a book until you read them k.


Well, to sum up generally, this book is written in a way that letters from a father to his son. The writer tell us about how his father who was an arab being killed by a terrorist when he was a six years old, and how he struggled with the traditional thinking of the arab world or muslim world in middle east, hiw he struggled with his identity as his mother is russian, and he posed some questions that young muslim as his son should not be worry to ask provocative questions even though it considers as taboo in the muslim community generally. There a lot of questions being thrown here and there but the writer didn’t give any answers, because it left to the readers to find it I guess.

I think because living in muslim community in Malaysia where we don’t really have problems for extremists here, and because the issues brought up in this book for me is nothing new from what I have read of, made me feel like this is just an ok book? But I read a several good reviews from others so I think it depends on individual, of course.

And soon after I finished reading this, I watched a movie called The Two Popes which I find it so entertaining. It inspired from a true story of how Pope Francis being elected as a Pope, but the dialogues between the two of them might be fictional. But I love their conversations! The issues brought up in the catholic community like the conservatives and Church reformer, are also the issues that the muslim community faced as well.


It’s on Netflix!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...